13 April 2021
Our online health and safety course is essential for new health and safety representatives in the Eastern region.
This blended course combines online educational materials and opportunities for interaction online and is delivered by experienced TUC tutors.
What will the course help me to do?
- Understand the health and safety rep role;
- Carry out the health and safety rep’s duties;
- Be more effective in the role;
- Understand the key rights of health and safety reps;
- Recognise the employer’s responsibilities on health and safety;
- Organise members around health and safety issues;
- Understand the key legal requirements for risk assessments and the criteria used;
- Be familiar with the UNISON approach to risk assessment.
When does the course run?
There will be six planned virtual events to help you become familiar with the TUC Education online learning platform and to support your learning and sharing experiences.
You will be expected to do five to six hours per week over the six week period to complete the course.
- Website orientation/Getting started: 13 April, 11am-2pm;
- Tutorials: 22 April 11am-1pm, 27 April 11am-1pm, 6 May 11am-1pm, 12 May 11-1pm and 20 May 11am-2pm;
- Online optional-one-to-ones will be available on 21 April 11am-2pm, 5 May 11am-2pm & 19 May 11am-2pm.
Can I get time off to learn?
Yes, if you are in a recognised workplace the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 and the 1997 Safety Representative and Safety Committee Regulations give you the right to time off with pay to attend trade union courses. You must give your employer reasonable notice.
Guidance can be found in the Acas Codes of Practice.
Can I get time off for online courses?
Yes. Online learning is not an alternative to paid release from work. The law still applies, whether learning takes place away from work or in work, at a workstation or in a company learning centre.
If you are having difficulty accessing paid time off, please contact your local branch.
How much is the course?
There are no course fees for UNISON stewards on this course.
Sign me up!
Please register below. Once you’ve signed up and your branch has confirmed you need the training, we’ll get in touch to confirm your place.
If you have any questions please contact us here.