27 October 2021 10:00am
This online course is for all new UNISON stewards in the Eastern region. It introduces the role, details responsibilities and gives information about support and resources available and leads to ERA accreditation. This blended course combines online educational materials and opportunities for interaction online.
What will the course help me to do?
- Understand the role of an organising union in public services;
- Recognise the importance of equalities in UNISON;
- Work with members to tackle issues in the workplace;
- Work with members in resolving cases;
- Know where and when to seek advice and guidance;
- Understand how procedures work in practice;
- Handle grievance and disciplinary and similar types of cases as the representative of UNISON members within your workplace;
- Be certified as competent to accompany members at a disciplinary and grievance hearing in line with Employment Relations Act 1999;
- Understand the broader roles in which UNISON operates, including internationally.
When does the course run?
You will be expected to do five to six hours per week over the five-week period. You will need to be able to commit to attending the course sessions as detailed below.
You will need to be available online from 10am to 4pm on 27 October, 3 November, 10 November, 17 November & 24 November. There will be breaks throughout including an hour for lunch between 1pm and 2pm.
Can I get time off to learn?
Yes, if you are in a recognised workplace the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 and the 1997 Safety Representative and Safety Committee Regulations give you the right to time off with pay to attend trade union courses. You just have to give your employer reasonable notice.
Guidance towards establishing what constitutes reasonable time off can be found in the ACAS Code of Practice.
Can I get time of to learn online?
Yes. Online learning is not an alternative to paid release from work. The law still applies, whether learning takes place away from work or in work, at a workstation or in a company learning centre.
If you’re having difficulty accessing paid time off please contact your local branch.
How much is the course?
There is a charge of £60.00. Your branch will fund this cost and they will be invoiced once you have completed the course.
Sign me Up!
Please register below. Once you’ve signed up and your branch has confirmed you need the training, we’ll get in touch to confirm your place.
If you have any questions please contact us here.