7 – 15 October 2021
Every five years UNISON expects our reps to participate in a course to learn about the new requirements, processes, legal changes and organising initiatives from across the union.
This blended course combines online educational materials and opportunities for interaction online and is delivered by experienced TUC tutors.
Why take it?
This is an opportunity for you to step outside of your current practice and reflect on what works for you as a UNISON rep and what you find to be the more challenging parts of the role.
The course is designed for you to discover new initiatives, share your experiences with other reps and to plan for how we build a strong union which can withstand the pressures put upon us in these tough times.
- To update you on new developments internally and externally which impact upon your role as a UNISON rep,
- To inform you on changes in the legislative and legal framework which affect our role in representation and organising at local level,
- To share our skills and experience to further develop our approach as UNISON reps,
- To explore how we build the strength of UNISON in a changing industrial relations environment,
- To consider how to utilise your skills and experience to encourage and mentor new UNISON reps,
- To plan more personal development opportunities in your role as a UNISON rep.
When does the course run?
You will need to be available online from 10.00am to 12.00pm on 7, 8, 13 & 15 October.
Can I get time off to learn?
Yes, if you are in a recognised workplace the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 and the 1997 Safety Representative and Safety Committee Regulations give you the right to time off with pay to attend trade union courses. You must give your employer reasonable notice.
Guidance can be found in the https://www.acas.org.uk/codes-of-practice
Can I get time off for online courses?
Yes. Online learning is not an alternative to paid release from work. The law still applies, whether learning takes place away from work or in work, at a workstation or in a company learning centre.
If you are having difficulty accessing paid time off, please contact your local branch.
How much is the course?
There will be a small cost of £40. Your branch will fund this cost and they will be invoiced once you have completed the course.
Sign me up!
Please register below. Once you’ve signed up and your branch has confirmed you need the training, we’ll get in touch to confirm your place.
If you have any questions please contact us here.