14 – 18 August 2017
Cambridge Professional Development Centre
Summer School - Organising Stewards
Who is it for?
This 5 day Organising Stewards course is the essential course for stewards who are either newly appointed, or who have been stewards for a little while and have never attended a Stewards course.
What will it be about?
This course aims to develop your skills, knowledge and confidence to enable you to carry out the role of a steward in UNISON, including to
- understand the role of an organising union in public services
- recognise the importance of equalities in UNISON
- work with members to tackle issues in the workplace
- work with members in resolving cases
- know where and when to seek advice and guidance
- understand how procedures work in practice
- handle grievance and disciplinary and similar types of cases as the representative of UNISON members within your workplace
- be certified as competent to accompany members at a disciplinary and grievance hearing in order to comply with Employment Relations Act 1999
- understand the broader roles in which UNISON operates, including internationally