30 – 31 January 2024
Higdon House, Kempson Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP32 7AR
This course is for Branch Education Coordinators and/or members of the branch education team. The course will also be useful to other branch officers wishing to use UNISON education and training resources as part of the branch development process.
What will the course help me to do?
- Understand the role of education and training in supporting and developing workplace and branch organisation
- Be aware of the education and training opportunities available in UNISON
- Assess the education and training needs of the branch, activists and members
- Develop and support activists, including developing a plan for buddying and mentoring of new workplace representatives
- Plan and cost the annual branch education and development plan
- Plan a branch education event and recruit participants
- Understand the team approach to branch education and roles within the branch education team
- Understand the roles of the Lifelong Learning Coordinator and Union Learning Rep
When does the course run?
This course runs on Tuesday 30th and Wednesday 31st January. Each day will start at 9.30am and be finished by 4.30pm.
Can I get time off to learn?
Yes, if you are in a recognised workplace the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 and the 1997 Safety Representative and Safety Committee Regulations give you the right to time off with pay to attend trade union courses. You just have to give your employer reasonable notice.
Guidance towards establishing what constitutes reasonable time off can be found in the ACAS Code of Practice.
How much is the course?
There is a charge of £100. Your branch will fund this cost and they will be invoiced once you have completed the course.