23 – 27 October 2023
Our online health and safety course is essential for new health and safety representatives in the Eastern region.
This blended course combines online educational materials and opportunities for interaction online and is delivered by experienced TUC tutors.
What will the course help me to do?
- Understand the health and safety rep role;
- Carry out the health and safety rep’s duties;
- Be more effective in the role;
- Understand the key rights of health and safety reps;
- Recognise the employer’s responsibilities on health and safety;
- Organise members around health and safety issues;
- Understand the key legal requirements for risk assessments and the criteria used;
- Be familiar with the UNISON approach to risk assessment.
When does the course run?
You will need to be online or taking part in guided learning between 9.30am and 4.30pm every day from Monday 23 to Friday 27 October.
Can I get time off to learn?
Yes, if you are in a recognised workplace the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 and the 1997 Safety Representative and Safety Committee Regulations give you the right to time off with pay to attend trade union courses. You just have to give your employer reasonable notice.
Guidance towards establishing what constitutes reasonable time off can be found in the ACAS Code of Practice.
Can I get time off to learn online?
Yes. Online learning is not an alternative to paid release from work. The law still applies, whether learning takes place away from work or in work, at a workstation or in a company learning centre.
If you’re having difficulty accessing paid time off please contact your local branch.
How much is the course?
There is a charge of £60. Your branch will fund this cost and they will be invoiced once you have completed the course.
Sign me up!
Please register below. Once you’ve signed up and your branch has confirmed you need the training, we’ll get in touch to confirm your place.
If you have any questions please contact us here.