6 – 10 December 2021
UNISON Eastern, Higdon House, Kempson Way, Bury St Edmunds, IP32 7AR
This course is for all new UNISON stewards and workplace representatives. Please note that you must have been elected as a representative by your branch and be showing as such on the membership system.
What will the course help me to do?
- Understand the role of an organising union in public services;
- Recognise the importance of equalities in UNISON;
- Work with members to tackle issues in the workplace;
- Work with members in resolving cases;
- Know where and when to seek advice and guidance;
- Understand how procedures work in practice;
- Handle grievance and disciplinary and similar types of cases as the representative of UNISON members within your workplace;
- Be certified as competent to accompany members at a disciplinary and grievance hearing in line with Employment Relations Act 1999;
Understand the broader roles in which UNISON operates, including internationally.
When does the course run?
You would be required to attend on 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 December 2021, 10.00am to 4.30pm.
Can I get time off to learn?
Yes, if you are in a recognised workplace the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 and the 1997 Safety Representative and Safety Committee Regulations give you the right to time off with pay to attend trade union courses. You just have to give your employer reasonable notice.
Guidance towards establishing what constitutes reasonable time off can be found in the ACAS Code of Practice.
How much is the Course?
There is a charge of £112.50. Your branch will fund this cost and they will be invoiced once you have completed the course.
Sign me Up!
Please register below. Once you’ve signed up and your branch has confirmed you need the training, we’ll get in touch to confirm your place.
If you have any questions please contact us here.