20 April – 12 June 2020
This course is for all new UNISON stewards. It introduces the role, details responsibilities and gives information about support and resources available.
Who is the course for?
This course is for all new Unison stewards and workplace reps.
How long is the course?
This course will take 30 hours to complete and you are expected to spend 5-7 hours per week.
What will the course help me to do?
The course will help you to:
- Understand the role of an organising union in public services;
- Recognise the importance of equalities in UNISON;
- Work with members to tackle issues in the workplace;
- Work with members in resolving cases;
- Know where and when to seek advice and guidance;
- Understand how procedures work in practice;
- Handle grievance and disciplinary and similar types of cases as the representative of UNISON members within your workplace;
- Be certified as competent to accompany members at a disciplinary and grievance hearing in line with Employment Relations Act 1999;
- Understand the broader roles in which UNISON operates, including internationally.
Can I get time off to learn?
Union representatives who wish to attend TUC courses in working time should first ask their employer for time off with pay.
The Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 and the Safety Representatives and Safety Committee Regulations 1977 give accredited union and safety representatives a legal right to reasonable time off with pay to attend courses approved by the TUC or their union.
Guidance towards establishing what constitutes reasonable time off can be found in the ACAS Code of Practice.
Representatives who find difficulty in obtaining paid time off to attend TUC courses should seek assistance from their senior union representative or full time union officer.
Can I get time off for online courses?
Online learning should not be seen as an alternative to paid release from work.
The law still applies, whether learning takes place away from work or in work, at a workstation or in a company learning centre.
How much is the course?
There are no course fees for UNISON stewards on this course.
For further information including on how to apply, please contact the UNISON Eastern education team.