4 – 5 September 2023
UNISON Eastern, Higdon House, Kempson Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP32 7AR
Every five years UNISON expects our reps to participate in a course to learn about the new requirements, processes, legal changes and organising initiatives from across the union.
Why take it?
This is an opportunity for you to step outside of your current practice and reflect on what works for you as a UNISON rep and what you find to be the more challenging parts of the role.
The course is designed for you to discover new initiatives, share your experiences with other reps and to plan for how we build strong union which can withstand the pressures put upon us in these tough times.
What will the course help me to do?
- Update you on new developments internally and externally which impact upon your role as a UNISON rep,
- Inform you on changes in the legislative and legal framework which affect our role in representation and organising at local level,
- Share our skills and experience to further develop our approach as UNISON reps,
- Explore how we build the strength of UNISON in a changing industrial relations environment,
- Consider how to utilise your skills and experience to encourage and mentor new UNISON reps,
- Plan more personal development opportunities in your role as a UNISON rep.
When does the course run?
You would be required to attend on 4 and 5 September at UNISON Eastern’s office in Bury St Edmunds. There is ample parking or it is a short cab ride from the train station.
Can I get time off to learn?
Yes, if you are in a recognised workplace the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 and the 1997 Safety Representative and Safety Committee Regulations give you the right to time off with pay to attend trade union courses. You just have to give your employer reasonable notice.
Guidance towards establishing what constitutes reasonable time off can be found in the ACAS Code of Practice.
How much is the course?
There is a charge of £60. Your branch will fund this cost and they will be invoiced once you have completed the course.
Sign me up!
Please register using the form below. Once your branch has confirmed that you need the training, we will get in touch to confirm your place.
If you have any questions please contact us here.